Friday, February 22, 2013

Toy room clean up

The kids had President's day off of school and my mom offered for them all to come up and have a sleep over.  I took advantage of the situation and decided to clean up the toy room since it is nearly impossible to do with the kids around.  They just end up undoing all my work almost immediately.

 Before
This room can turn into a disaster area fairly quickly.  When Guy wants the family room cleaned up, he just throws it all into the toy room.  Not exactly a great solution.
 
 
Things weren't looking too bad inside before but it really needed to be organized better.
 


 I finally opened up my label maker (a gift from Guy more than a year ago) and put it to good use labeling totes.

 I moved a few shelves around to make better use of the space and made it so things weren't quite as squished.

All Little People and accessories are now on the top shelf.  Most of the stuffed animals are on the next shelf.  Yes, we have too many and one day they will need to be downsized.  The next shelf holds misc. toys or things that need to be put away.  Dolls and barbies are on the bottom shelf along with toy food and dishes.

 Top shelf is mostly animal train and big trucks.  The next shelf has dress-ups and puzzles.  I love the next shelf with all of the totes.  In theory, the kids will get out one tote at a time and then put everything away before getting out another tote of toys.  I'm crossing my fingers that it will work.  On the bottom is a ride on truck and BBQ grill with a few other little things.

I was so excited to show it off to the kids when they got home.  They didn't think it was nearly as cool.  My next thing to organize is the cabinet to the right.  Currently there are toys, games and sewing supplies in it.  I would love for it to be my sewing cabinet so that I can put a lock on it and keep the kids out.  They generally don't mess with my sewing stuff, but I still would like to keep them out of it.

No comments: