Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cleaning out the girls' room

After pulling the sheets off the girls' beds one Monday morning, I realized that they had so much stuff all over the floor that it was nearly impossible to make their beds again without stepping on something.  So, I took some action.  Whenever I ask the girls to clean up their room, they spend hours and hours getting sidetracked and the room ends up looking exactly the same as when they started.  Since they were at school and couldn't object to anything I was doing, I went right to work.

 Amelia's bed before
 
 Ashley's bed before
 
There was so much stuff under and around Ashley's bed that I filled an entire laundry basket with things that didn't belong.


The dresser before.
(Confession: I ran out of energy to get the dresser done.  Project for another day.)
 

The closet before.
 
The closet in the girls room has no doors.  It never has.  Maybe one day it will.  I would also like to re-do the organizing system in the closet.  I am not a fan of the wire shelving and the overall cheapness of this system.  Perhaps this will be my summer project along with mudding, taping, texturing and painting where we had to tear the wall apart and work on the plumbing.
 

 
Amelia's bed had a few things under it that didn't belong but it wasn't too bad.
 


I can actually walk right up to Ashley's bed!  Such a great thing.  She likes to sleep with random little objects that would continually fall behind the bed.  I would love to break her of this habit.


The night stand had so many books and things on it that it was an avalanche waiting to happen.  It probably won't stay this cleaned off, but I'm hoping that it won't get that bad.

 
The closet got a mini-organization.  The shelf above Amelia's clothes (right side) now holds her collection of Magic Tree House books along with other things that she doesn't want her brothers to be able to get in to.  The freestanding mirror is out of the room which really allows for more walking room.  The kids broke the mirror a few months ago, so really it was just the frame still in the room.  Still don't know what to do with that.  The girls want a mirror in their room again, but the freestanding one took up too much space.
 
The girls have been really good at keeping their room looking nice since I cleaned it up.  I do help a little each morning making sure that beds are made and pajamas are put away.  But they are in charge of making sure it is all in order before going to bad at night.  I love being about to go in their room and vacuum without worrying about sucking anything up.  Cleaning is so much easier when the clutter is gone.

No comments: