Inserting elastic was the name of the game for week 4 of learning to sew. I am not new to this skill but still wanted to try making the skirt. I took the girls to Hobby Lobby and let them pick out three fabrics for their skirts. The general pattern said to double the waist measurement and divide the length into 3 equal pieces. I wanted the skirt a little fuller so I tripled the measurement and then made each layer about 5 inches longer than the previous one. There were many times that I wanted to throw this skirt across them room. The tutorial says to make the casing for the elastic by folding down all three layers of fabric. This made it terribly thick for me. After spending 30 minutes fishing the elastic through, it broke. I tried again with a thicker elastic and still had troubles. So, I ended up sewing the top two tiers of the skirt onto the bottom tier and then making the casing only from one layer of fabric. Worked out so much easier. Of course, I still need to make Ashley's skirt. Amelia was actually able to wear it to school the other day for a free dress day and when she got home, I couldn't stop looking at her. She looked so cute in that skirt!
Saturday, February 9, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Love it! Sydney wants one with "sparkly" fabric...
Post a Comment