When I was pregnant with Ashley, Guy gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. That was more than seven years ago. My first project with my new machine was a chenille blanket for Ashley. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. Over the years, I have dabbled here and there with sewing. I have made nightgowns for the girls, pillow cases, the beginnings of quilts, hooded towels, nursing covers, car seat covers, and even a few Halloween costumes. Of course, nothing too difficult. I found this little "Learn to Sew" series online and I thought I would give it a try. Today's lesson was how to create a hem and sew a straight line, complete with back-stitching.
Here is today's project. They are cloth diapers covered with a little bit of fabric to make it pretty so it can be used as a burp cloth. Even though this was fairly easy, I wanted to start this series from the beginning and go all the way through.
I washed and dried all the cloth diaper and then ironed them. Luckily, I had this super cute fabric in my stash. It was originally meant to be a skirt for one of the girls, but after getting it home, I thought it might be too juvenile.
Next, I ironed a 1/2 inch hem around all sides.
Next step was to center the fabric on the cloth diaper and pin in it place. Then sew all the way around.
And done! Simple as that.
Out of one yard of fabric, I was able to get 8 burp cloths done. So cute and ready to be gifted to someone. Hmm, I do have a niece having a baby soon.
Other than that, Guy and I spent our lunch hour at the school talking with the Secondary Principal regarding how the staff is preparing to handle a school shooting. We hope that all their preparations never have to be put to practice, but we want our children to be protected. I'm grateful that our children attend a school where there is open communication and directors want to hear from parents. It was nice for this man to take time out of his busy day to meet with us. I also ran into one of the Special Ed. teachers that taught Ashley over the summer. It was so nice to get a little report from her on the improvement that Ashley has been making in school. Honestly, it is like night and day to what she was like a year ago and it makes me so happy.
Monday, January 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment