Monday, August 20, 2012

Fireplace Makeover

When we first moved into our house, we pretty much stayed upstairs most of the time.  As time went by, we moved the TV downstairs along with most of the kids toys and now we spend a lot of time in the basement.  For the first 4 years or so of living in this house, we never built a fire downstairs but we were thinking of getting a wood burning stove to help with heating the basement in the winter.  Through some sort of tax incentive program, we were able to get a new wood burning stove and get a tax credit for it.  Win-win!



Now, the mantel was quite neglected.  Amelia even called it the "broken toy shelf" since that was the spot that I always put toys that were in need of some repair.  I'm very ashamed to admit that some toys sat up there for years.  One day, I decided to clean it off along with the hearth and get ready for some decorating.  The decorating still isn't done, but it has stayed cleaned off.  The only thing that I don't know what to do with is all the wood and other fire starting materials in the winter.  I love the look of the hearth now and I really don't want it cluttered again with all of that stuff.



 Our favorite thing to do in the winter now is heat water on top of the stove and drink hot chocolate downstairs.  Somehow, it is more magical to drink hot chocolate in the basement.

No comments: