Friday, December 20, 2013

Youth Conference 2013

At the beginning of June, I had the opportunity to attend Youth Conference with the young women in my ward.  I had recently been called as the secretary and they were so happy that I was able to go.  Guy had to take a day and a half off work so he could be home to watch the kids, which I hope helped him gain a greater appreciation of what I do every day.

We met on a Thursday afternoon and then drove up to Salt Lake.  We stayed at the University of Utah housing at Ft. Douglas.  It was so fun to be at my old stompin' grounds after working at both Ft. Douglas and the University of Utah.  So much has changed though.

Since this was a stake youth conference, we started out with a few "get to know you" games.  They were actually really fun.  We were also very lucky to have a stake cooking team prepare all our meals for us.  Even with serving food for the whole stake, I never felt like we had to wait very long to eat.  They had the routine down so good.  On Friday, we got up early and went to temple square.  We had the opportunity to see a film about Joseph Smith in the Legacy theater, hear from Elder L. Whitney Clayton, walk around temple square, and visit the Salt Lake City cemetery where many prophets and other notable figures in church history are buried.  We also were able hear from a few members of our stake speak that night about standing in holy places.  Such a wonderful message for the youth to hear.  We finished off that night with a little dance which lasted until 11:00.  We were so exhausted by the time that it was over.  Some of the girls even went back to the dorms a little early.  When we returned home on Saturday, we had the adult session of stake conference and it was so fun to hear the Stake Presidency and others reference youth conference throughout their talks.

After staying up late on Friday night, I was very grateful to have a super fun and talkative girl sit up in the front with me on the drive home.  Everyone else in the car slept the whole way home.  When I got home at about 2:00 in the afternoon, Guy was still doing a mad dash of getting the kids to help clean up the house.  I'm not really sure what went on while I as gone, but the dishes hadn't been touched at all (just more dirty ones piled up in the sink) and Micah was still in jammies.  Maybe it's a good thing I was only gone for two days.

 View from atop the Church Office Building
 
 Our group of youth
 
 President and Sister Hinckley
 
 Orrin Porter Rockwell
 
 Truman Osborn Angell
We searched long and hard for this one.  Even with a map it was hard to find.
 
Free time after being at temple square all day.

No comments: