Thursday, July 28, 2011

Huff and Puff and Blow...

A crazy wind storm blew through our neighborhood on April 21st. The kids and I were sitting in the living room and it was so loud that you would have thought a tornado was coming through. At one point, I could see debris being blown around outside and I figured that it might be a little safer for us to get down to the basement just in case. When the winds settled down, I went back upstairs to take a peek outside. I saw a few shingles on our lawn and I was hoping that they blew off of our neighbors house, but I couldn't see any shingles missing from anyone's house. So, I decided to take a trip outside to take a peek at our roof.

Oh my goodnees. That's when I decided to call Guy and break the news to him. I told him approximately how large the area was and how many shingles I could see on the ground. He decided it would be wise to take the rest of the day off work and come home to assess the damages himself. When he got home, we also called our insurance agent (sometimes I feel like I should have her on speed dial) and found out that we were covered but it would be a $500 deductible and they would send an adjuster out until the next day. And then who knows how long it would be to get it fixed. Guy decided that he could do the work himself.

After a quick trip to the roofing supply place, Guy was up on the roof. Apparently Springville can be pretty windy and the roofing supply company suggested to keep spare shingles on hand for the next wind storm. Guy was up on the roof well after the sun went down. He had one friend come over and help for a few hours, but pretty much did it all by himself. The kids were thrilled to be little helpers and climb the ladder to give daddy supplies. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

No comments: