Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving fun!

Needless to say, things have been a little bit busy lately. Starting on Wednesday last week, I got together with my mom, my sister, my mom's friend Launi and her daughter Megan to make pies. After many of hours baking, we had about 35 pies made that would be going to at least six different places for dinner.

On Thursday, we went to my aunt Linda's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I made asparagus roll ups and Lori decided that we need to get together just for an appetizer party because that is our favorite part of waiting for dinner to be done. Dinner was absolutely fabulous (as always) and after we were all stuffed, the men slept on whatever couch they could find and the women went for a little "holly walk". Then, we all chipped in to clean up and put away leftovers so that we could make it over to aunt Lori's for pie. We also celebrated my cousin Erin's birthday, but everyone was too full to eat any cake.

Since there are seven children in my mom's family and they all can't make to dinner at the same place, we try to all get together for pie. It was so fun to see a lot of my cousins (and their kids) that I don't get to see very often. And the best part is that there are so many different kinds of pie that there is something there that everyone will like. My favorite part was to watch my cousin Doyle take his son James around saying, "What kind of pie should we try next?" We also tried really hard to get a picture of Grandpa Choo-Choo with all of his great-grandchildren. It worked out pretty well except Ashley was really sad and so Guy had to sit and hold her in the picture. She has been really clingy lately, due to either teeth coming in or the fact that I have been trying to get so many things done for Thanksgiving that I haven't been able to hold her all the time like she would like. (As I am typing this, she is cuddled up on my lap instead of sitting on the couch with Amelia watching a movie.)

Friday, we had another get together planned at Guy's parents house in Sterling. We had planned to leave by 11:30 but there was a crisis at work and Guy had to go in and help straighten everything out. So, we left about an hour later than we wanted to but it all worked out great. Luckily, we got to see Julie and her new baby who live in Idaho.

All in all, it was a great weekend with lots of great food. We will be eating leftovers for the next week which means that I don't have to cook (yeah!). However, I did make a yummy hash brown and egg casserole for dinner on Saturday night with the leftover ham and I am planning on doing a yummy turkey tetrazini with some of the leftover turkey. This way, we won't feel like we are eating Thanksgiving dinner for the next week. But, we do have plenty of pie to last us that long and then some.

2 comments:

Britta said...

That is an awful lot of pies! I haven't made pies much, myself, but plan to learn someday. Sounds like your weekend was about as crazy as mine!

elshmobelsh said...

Holy Cow you were busy girl! It looks like you had so much fun!

And with Britta, I was happy with my two pies. ;o)